- Shape of Water, The (2017) 9
Love story between a mute janitor and an amphibious creature at a 1962 top-secret laboratory.
- Moonlight (2016) 10
A masterpiece. Tenderly chronicles a young black man's rough and anxious life in 1980s Miami.
- Spotlight (2015) 9
True story of Boston Globe journalists uncovering systematic child molestation cover-ups in the Catholic Church.
- Birdman (2014) 9
Washed-up movie star Keaton attempts a comeback via Broadway play while battling his ego. Surreal.
- 12 Years a Slave (2013) 9
Gut-wrenching adaptation of the 1853 autobiography of free-born Solomon Northup who was abducted into slavery.
- Argo (2012) 9
Amazing CIA-Canadian secret operation, via Hollywood, to return six Americans during the Iran hostage crisis.
- Artist, The (2011) 10
A jaded modern audience can enjoy this silent movie like it's 1927. Remarkable and charming.
- King's Speech, The (2010) 9
Inspiring portrait of the stammering King George VI of Britain and his ballsy speech therapist.
- Hurt Locker, The (2009) 10
An intense, complex war film. Intelligent, exhilarating psychological thriller about urban warfare in Iraq.
- Slumdog Millionaire (2008) 9
A love story intertwines the slums and gangs of Mumbai with a TV game show.
- No Country for Old Men (2007) 9
A heroin stash and $2 million spirals into catastrophic violence, courtesy of the Coen Brothers.
- Departed, The (2006) 9
Martin Scorsese's gritty crime drama is centered on two cops, the Irish mob and rats.
- Crash (2005) 8
The lives of a multiethnic collection of Los Angeles characters grippingly interweave over two days.
- Million Dollar Baby (2004) 9
Clint Eastwood works with a determined Hilary Swank in her attempt to become a boxer.
- Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The (2003) 9
I don't think there's going to be a return journey, Mr. Frodo.
- Chicago (2002) 7
A musical about celebrity worship, set in 1920s Chicago, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renée Zellweger.
- Beautiful Mind, A (2001) 7
The struggles of a mathematical genius, inspired by the life of John Forbes Nash, Jr.
- Gladiator (2000) 6
Set in digitized ancient Rome, this epic spaghetti Western-style movie stars army general Russell Crowe.
- American Beauty (1999) 9
A dark drama of suburban picket-fence depression and frustration. Stars Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening.
- Shakespeare in Love (1998) 8
A young Shakespeare meets Gwyneth Paltrow and is inspired to write Romeo and Juliet.
- Titanic (1997) 9
Romantic tale of a rich girl and poor boy who meet on the 'unsinkable' ship.
- English Patient, The (1996) 8
A three-hour, WWII-era love story. A young nurse tends to a badly burned Hungarian mapmaker.
- Braveheart (1995)
- Forrest Gump (1994)
- Schindler's List (1993)
- Unforgiven (1992)
- Silence of the Lambs, The (1991)
- Dances with Wolves (1990)
- Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
- Rain Man (1988)
- Last Emperor, The (1987)
- Platoon (1986)
- Out of Africa (1985)
- Amadeus (1984)
- Terms of Endearment (1983)
- Gandhi (1982)
- Chariots of Fire (1981)
- Ordinary People (1980)
- Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)
- Deer Hunter, The (1978)
- Annie Hall (1977)
- Rocky (1976)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
- Godfather: Part II, The (1974)
- Sting, The (1973)
- Godfather, The (1972)
- French Connection, The (1971)
- Patton (1970)
- Midnight Cowboy (1969)
- Oliver! (1968)
- In the Heat of the Night (1967)
- Man for All Seasons, A (1966)
- Sound of Music, The (1965)
- My Fair Lady (1964)
- Tom Jones (1963)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- West Side Story (1961)
- Apartment, The (1960)
- Ben-Hur (1959)
- Gigi (1958)
- Bridge on the River Kwai, The (1957)
- Around the World in Eighty Days (1956)
- Marty (1955)
- On the Waterfront (1954)
- From Here to Eternity (1953)
- Greatest Show on Earth, The (1952)
- American in Paris, An (1951)
- All About Eve (1950)
- All the King's Men (1949)
- Hamlet (1948)
- Gentleman's Agreement (1947)
- Best Years of Our Lives, The (1946)
- Lost Weekend, The (1945)
- Going My Way (1944)
- Casablanca (1942)
- Mrs. Miniver (1942)
- How Green Was My Valley (1941)
- Rebecca (1940)
- Gone with the Wind (1939)
- You Can't Take It with You (1938)
- Life of Emile Zola, The (1937)
- Great Ziegfeld, The (1936)
- Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
- It Happened One Night (1934)
- Cavalcade (1933)
- Grand Hotel (1932)
- Cimarron (1931)
- All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
- Broadway Melody, The (1929)
- Wings (1927)
Academy Awards Winners for Best Picture (1929-2017)
As you can see below, only two films rated 10 by Filmometer (since 1996) have won Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
I think most of the Academy must've been drunk when they cast their votes for the best picture of 2000. And also 1995, 1994, 1990 and so on.
Unfortunately, the best films are often shut out of the Oscar nominations.
Do you have any movie recommendations? Perhaps you have a complaint to file about the film ratings or 15-word reviews? Ladies and gentleman, one and all, feel free to air your grievances! There's no need to wait until the annual Festivus celebration. Take this opportunity to share.
Thanks for visiting. For more time wastage, try the spiral::notepad.