Movie Ratings & Reviews
Last film added: December 16, 2018. There are currently 1603 films in the database (since 1996).
- Amazing Screw-On Head, The (2006) 10
A TV pilot featuring Emperor Zombie and Lincoln. Any last words before I spark it?
- Planet Earth (2006) 10
Spectacular 11-part BBC documentary of the diversity of Earth's life, from the poles to deserts.
- South Park - Imaginationland (2007) 10
Epic three-part story arc from season 11 released as a standalone movie. The best ever.
- Black Mirror - Seasons 1-2 (2014) 9
Provocative sci-fi satire. Explores technology's darker ramifications on society. Gamification, limitless storage, AI. Brilliant.
- Frisky Dingo - Seasons 1 and 2 (2008) 9
A supervillain named Killface plans to destroy humanity using the Annihilatrix. Clever and often hilarious.
- Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking (2010) 9
Discovery Channel cosmology miniseries that discusses aliens, time travel and the history of the universe.
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - Seasons 1-4 (2017) 9
The very best news satire program. Weekly updates from former 'Daily Show' host and correspondent.
- Prisoner - Complete Series Megaset, The (2006) 9
Resigned secret agent McGoohan becomes trapped in an idyllic village. A 1967-68 TV cult classic.
- South Park - The Complete 13 Seasons (2009) 9
The misadventures of four irreverent grade-schoolers in the quiet, dysfunctional town of South Park, Colorado.
- Stranger Things - Seasons 1-2 (2017) 9
A small Indiana town in the 1980s has a shadowy parallel dimension. Thrilling, emotionally resonant.
- Through the Wormhole - Season 1 (2010) 9
Compelling TV series that explores the deepest mysteries of human existence. Hosted by Morgan Freeman.
- Twin Peaks - The Definitive Gold Box Edition (2007) 9
David Lynch's groundbreaking 1990-91 TV series. It's a paranormal murder mystery set in northern Washington.
- Twin Peaks: The Return (2017) 9
David Lynch revisits the surreal, mystical character of a quaint Washington town 25 years later.
- When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions (2008) 9
Discovery's compelling six-part series about the race into space, the moon landings, shuttles, and beyond.
- Wonderfalls - The Complete Viewer Collection (2004) 9
Arguably the best cancelled television series ever. Only 4 of the 13 episodes actually aired.
- 12 Angry Men (1997) 8
Excellent made-for-TV remake of the 1957 classic, starring George C. Scott and Jack Lemmon.
- Adventure Time - Seasons 1 and 2 (2011) 8
A boy and a magical dog are hero-adventurers in the Land of Ooo. Hilariously bizarre.
- BoJack Horseman - Seasons 1-5 (2018) 8
Absurd adult cartoon about a washed-up 1990s sitcom horse in Hollywood. Surprising wit, depth, self-loathing.
- Breaking the Huddle: The Integration of College Football (2008) 8
HBO chronicles the profound effect of the 1960s Civil Rights movement on college football programs.
- Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey - Episodes 1-7 (2014) 8
Neil deGrasse Tyson picks up where Carl Sagan left off. The story of our universe.
- Full Frontal with Samantha Bee - Seasons 1-2 (2017) 8
Weekly news satire, with particular attention to women's issues, from the former 'Daily Show' correspondent.
- Grand Night In: The Story of Aardman, A (2015) 8
History of Aardman Animations, the acclaimed British stop-motion animation studio behind Morph, Wallace & Gromit.
- Gruffalo, The (2009) 8
A cunning mouse outwits a succession of predators while walking in the deep dark wood.
- Inherit the Wind (1999) 8
Like 12 Angry Men, another excellent made-for-TV remake starring Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott.
- Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack - Seasons 1-3, The (2010) 8
Cartoon seafaring adventures of young Flapjack and pirate K'nuckles who live in a talking whale.
- Paranoia Agent: Complete Collection (2004) 8
Satoshi Kon's dark, paranormal 13-episode Japanese TV series. The spectral, enigmatic assailant Lil' Slugger fascinates.
- Persuaders, The (2004) 8
The cultures of marketing and advertising influence what Americans buy and how they view themselves.
- Pushing Daisies - The Complete First Season (2007) 8
A man can bring dead people back to life, with Amélie-style narration. Whimsical forensic romance.
- Robot Chicken - Seasons 1-3 (2007) 8
Demented stop-motion animation using action figures and toys. These sketch-comedy vignettes skewer pop culture.
- Room on the Broom (2012) 8
A gentle witch offers rides to a variety of animals on her increasingly crowded broom.
- Seinfeld - The Complete Series (1998) 8
A sitcom about nothing. Starring New York stand-up comedian Jerry Seinfeld and his neurotic friends.
- Tell Them Anything You Want: A Portrait of Maurice Sendak (2009) 8
Diary-style documentary by Spike Jonze about Maurice Sendak, the unconventional author of iconic children's books.
- Venture Bros. - Seasons One and Two, The (2006) 8
The warped misadventures of a middle-aged mad scientist, his teenage sons, and their maniac bodyguard.
- X-Files: The Complete Collector's Edition, The (2002) 8
FBI agents Mulder and Scully investigate paranormal cases and discover alien conspiracies within our government.
- Atom Smashers, The (2008) 7
How does life exist? Documentary chronicles the search for the Higgs boson by Fermilab physicists.
- Beavis and Butt-Head Do America (1996) 7
Beavis and Butt-Head visit Vegas, the Grand Canyon and the White House. I am Cornholio!
- Bernard and Doris (2008) 7
An HBO Films picture about tobacco heiress Doris Duke (Sarandon) and her gay butler (Fiennes).
- Berserk - The Complete Collection (2002) 7
Anime about young warrior Guts and the mercenary company called the Band of the Hawk.
- Best of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, The (2005) 7
My childhood memories, now on DVD. A first-rate reMASTERing of this moralizing homoerotic 1980s toy-advert.
- Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2001) 7
On Mars in the year 2071, the Bebop crew tries to contain a deadly virus.
- Dead Like Me - The Complete First Season (2003) 7
Showtime TV series about the lives of undead grim reapers trying to make ends meet.
- Extras - The Complete Series (2007) 7
Movie extra Ricky Gervais weasels his way into speaking roles, then finds commercial success miserable.
- Gia (1998) 7
Frequently naked Angelina Jolie is Gia Carangi, a top fashion model from the late 1970s.
- Gruffalo's Child, The (2011) 7
The child of the Gruffalo ignores her father's warnings and seeks the Big Bad Mouse.
- Happy Town - Episodes 1-8 (2010) 7
Paranormal crime drama that aspires to be Twin Peaks. Dark mysteries in an idyllic town.
- Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron (2007) 7
Hellboy ends up battling the goddess Hecate after a professor resurrects a powerful female vampire.
- Look Around You - Series 1 and 2 (2005) 7
A BBC TV comedy series that satirizes 1970s educational science programs. A nonsensical, faithful homage.
- Pompeii: The Last Day (2003) 7
A dramatized recreation of the destruction of Pompeii when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.
- Prisoner, The (2009) 7
AMC miniseries based on the classic 1960s TV show. Interesting but muddled. Caviezel lacks personality.
- Serenity (2005) 7
Finale to the cancelled Firefly TV series. Features space-age weaponry, martial arts, and witty dialogue.
- South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut (1999) 7
I'm sorry I can't help myself. That movie has warped my fragile little mind.
- Stanley Kubrick's Boxes (2008) 7
Kubrick's incredible attention to detail revealed in 1,000+ boxes of his meticulously sorted film materials.
- Tin Man (2007) 7
Dark re-imagining of the Land of Oz. Zooey Deschanel stars in this three-part Sci-Fi miniseries.
- X-Files: Fight the Future, The (1998) 7
David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson must fight the government in a conspiracy about alien colonization.
- Alice in Wonderland (1999) 6
A made-for-TV, family-friendly version with a cast of Hollywood all stars. It's hardly worth watching.
- Breast Men (1997) 6
HBO movie follows two doctors who invented silicone breast implants through time. David Schwimmer stars.
- Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms (2006) 6
A samurai sword sends Hellboy into a dangerous realm of Japanese legends, ghosts and monsters.
- Heroes - Seasons 1-3 (2009) 6
Cleverly structured graphic novel in TV-show format about people with diverse superpowers. It became unwatchable.
- How Beer Saved the World (2011) 6
Simplifies human history to exaggerate the importance of beer to civilization. BEER! Extreme hyperbole!
- PU-239: The Half Life of Timofey Berezin (2007) 6
A nuclear plant worker with radiation poisoning tries to sell stolen plutonium to Moscow gangsters.
- Student Services (2011) 6
A 19-year-old freshman in France, desperate for cash, is enticed into a life of prostitution.
- Tuesdays with Morrie (1999) 6
A made-for-TV movie with sportswriter Hank Azaria and retired professor Jack Lemmon, dying of ALS.
- Saiyûki Vol. 1: The Journey Begins (2003) 5
A Dragonball Z-like anime adventure of four heroes traveling West to confront a powerful demon.
- Superstorm (2007) 5
Scientists attempt to divert or weaken a Miami-bound hurricane using cloud seeding. A miniseries docudrama.
- Sharknado (2013) CRAP
Was idiotically curious about the magnitude of this TV-movie's absurdity. It's a bloody, bad-CGI trainwreck.
TV Shows and Made-for-TV Films (1996-2020)Search returned all television shows and TV-related films out of 1603 total rated films.
FROM BAD TO WORSE
Statistical ratings distribution of these 65 films (4.1% of total rated films):
With enough films included, it usually approximates a bell curve with a mean near 6.5...
(especially when considering that CRAP is 0-4 combined).
Average rating for these 65 films: 7.5.
Do you have any movie recommendations? Perhaps you have a complaint to file about the film ratings or 15-word reviews? Ladies and gentleman, one and all, feel free to air your grievances! There's no need to wait until the annual Festivus celebration. Take this opportunity to share.
Thanks for visiting. For more time wastage, try the spiral::notepad.